Giving to Haiti
Suggestions on How to Give to Haiti
Tips are provided by CharityNavigator.org, an independent nonprofit organization that evaluates more than 5,400 American charity groups.
- Send Cash, Not Supplies. Even if mail could get to Haiti, no one is set up to receive these goods, much less organize and distribute them to victims. Instead of boxing up and sending old clothing, have a garage sale and turn your used goods into cash and donate that to a charity.
- Avoid Newly-Formed Charities. Find a charity with a proven track record of success in providing disaster relief. Thoroughly research it.
- Do Not Give to the Haitian Government. Haiti is struggling with the aftermath. Contributions to foreign governments are not tax deductible.
- Designate Your Investment. Specify that you want your donation only used to respond to this particular crisis.
- Be Careful of E-mail Solicitations. Delete unsolicited e-mails with attachments. They are probably viruses.
- Avoid Telemarketers. As always, hang up the phone, do your homework and give directly to a charity.
These organizations are providing aid to Haiti:
- ActionAid USA
- Adventist Development and Relief Agency
- American Jewish World Services
- American Red Cross
- Beyond Borders
- Catholic Relief Services
- Church World Service
- Clinton Bush Haiti Fund
- Concern Worldwide
- Direct Relief
- Doctors Without Borders
- Episcopal Relief & Development
- Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
- Feed the Children
- God's Littlest Angels
- Habitat for Humanity
- International Relief Teams
- International Rescue Committee
- Islamic Relief USA
- Kids Alive International
- Lambi Fund
- Lions Clubs International
- Love a Child
- Lutheran World Relief
- Mayor's Fund for NYC
- Meds & Food For Kids
- Mercy & Sharing
- Mercy Corps
- Operation Blessing International
- Oxfam America
- Partners in Health
- Population Services International
- Project Hope
- Red Cross
- Salesian Missions
- Samaritan's Purse
- Save The Children
- St. Boniface Haiti Foundation
- United Nations Foundation/CERF
- United Way Worldwide
- William J. Clinton Foundation
- World Concern
- World Food Program
- World Neighbors
- World Relief
- World Vision
- YÃ©le Haiti
Donate to CARE
CARE plans to start food distributions using stocks of high-protein biscuits from CARE warehouses in Haiti. CARE has 133 staff who are on the ground coordinating with U.N. agencies and other aid organizations to gather more detailed information about the damage and will rapidly scale up response based on those assessments.
Donate to the Red Cross
Your gift to the American Red Cross will support emergency relief and recovery efforts to help those people affected by the earthquake in Haiti. Assistance provided by the American Red Cross may include deploying personnel, sending relief supplies, and providing financial resources.
Donate to UNICEF
UNICEF is deploying clean water and sanitation supplies, therapeutic foods, medical supplies and temporary shelter to Jacmel and Port-au-Prince. UNICEF will also be focusing on children who have become separated from their families to protect them from harm or exploitation.
The following organizations are accepting text donations via cell phone:
- Text QUAKE to 20222 to donate $10 to the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund
- Text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10 to Red Cross relief efforts
- Text YELE to 501501 to donate $5 to Yele Haiti's Earthquake Relief efforts
- Text GIVE10 to 20222 to donate $10 to Direct Relief International
- Text HAITI to 25383 to donate $5 to International Rescue Committee
- Text OXFAM to 25383 to donate $10 to Oxfam International
- Text AJWS to 25383 to donate $10 to American Jewish World Service
- Text HABITAT to 25383 to donate $10 to Habitat for Humanity
- Text BABY to 20222 to donate $5 to March of Dimes