Giving to Japan
Nation in Crisis
Japan's 9.0 earthquake caused a devastating tsunami that slammed into the eastern coast. Since then, more than 150 aftershocks of magnitude 5 or greater have followed, including more than two-dozen of magnitude 6 or greater, and one aftershock of magnitude 7.1.
Thousands of people are dead and many are still missing or injured. Millions of Japanese are trapped without transportation, water and electricity, and officials have struggled to contain radioactive fallout from a damaged nuclear power plant.
Japan has often donated when other countries have experienced disasters, such as when Hurricane Katrina impacted the United States. Here's how to do your part to help Japan rebuild.
How to Donate
Tips are provided by CharityNavigator.org, an independent nonprofit organization that evaluates more than 5,400 American charity groups.
- Send Cash, Not Supplies. Cash allows relief experts to buy exactly what is needed without wasting other precious resources such as transportation, staff time or warehouse space. Instead of boxing up and sending old clothing, have a garage sale and turn your used goods into cash and donate that to a charity.
- Avoid Newly-Formed Charities. Find a charity with a proven track record of success in providing disaster relief. Thoroughly research it.
- Designate Your Investment. Specify that you want your donation only used to respond to this particular crisis.
- Be Careful of Email Solicitations. Delete unsolicited emails with attachments. They are probably viruses.
- Avoid Telemarketers. As always, hang up the phone, do your homework and give directly to a charity. Charity
solicitations that seem suspicious can be reported to the National Center for Disaster Fraud; complaints can also be filed with the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
- Adventist Development and Relief Agency International
- All Hands Volunteers
- American Humane Association
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee
- American Red Cross International Services
- Ananda Marga Universal Relief Team (AMURT)
- Baptist World Alliance / Baptist World Aid
- Brother's Brother Foundation
- Buddhist Tzu Chi Foundation
- Catholic Relief Services
- ChildFund International
- Christian Reformed World Relief Committee
- Church World Service
- Convoy of Hope
- Doctors Without Borders
- Direct Relief International
- Episcopal Relief & Development
- Giving Children Hope
- Global Resource Services
- Habitat for Humanity International
- Handicap International
- Heart to Heart International
- International Medical Corps
- International Rescue Committee
- Islamic Relief USA
- Life for Relief & Development
- Medical Teams International
- Mercy Corps
- Operation Blessing
- Operation USA
- Presbyterian Disaster Assistance/Hunger Program
- Relief International
- Salvation Army World Service Office
- Save the Children
- United Methodist Committee on Relief
- US Fund for UNICEF
- World Concern
- World Vision, United States
The following organizations are accepting $10 text donations via cell phone:
- To donate to ADRA Relief, the humanitarian organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, text SUPPORT to 85944
To donate to American Red Cross Relief, text REDCROSS to 90999
To donate to Convoy of Hope, a faith-based organization that does community outreach and disaster response, text TSUNAMI to 50555
To donate to GlobalGiving, which focuses on “grassroots projects in the developing world,” text JAPAN to 50555
To donate to International Medical Corps, a nonprofit focused on health care training, relief and development programs, text MED to 80888
To donate to Mercy Corps, a global aid agency that works on disaster response, sustainable economic development and health services, text MERCY to 25383
To donate to Save the Children, an independent organization dedicated to helping children in need, text JAPAN to 20222
To donate to The Salvation Army, text JAPAN or QUAKE to 80888
To donate to UNICEF, providing emergency food and healthcare to children in 150 countries, text JAPAN to 864233
To donate to World Relief Corp., the humanitarian arm of the National Association of Evangelicals, text WAVE to 50555
To donate to World Vision, a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization, text 4JAPAN or 4TSUNAMI to 20222