University of California, RiversideUCR

UCR's Support for Japan   

Support for UCR Students

On-Campus Resources

  • International Education Center Access the most recent information about students impacted by the Japan disaster, get answers to frequently asked questions, and seek support for academic and financial concerns related to this tragedy.
  • Counseling Center We encourage those impacted by the Japan disaster to take time to care for themselves and loved ones. If you're coping with stress, please don't hesitate to talk with someone at the Counseling Center. The Center offers a walk-in service for consultations and crisis counseling, 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m at the Veitch Student Center, North Wing. After-hours, mental health therapists are available for crisis counseling and consultation by phone at 951-UCR-TALK or 2-TALK from campus phones.
  • Student Affairs Case Manager If you're struggling with a problem —whether it's medical, psychological, psychiatric, social, financial or academic — the Student Affairs Case Manager can find you the right resources, lend advice and help you fill out your paperwork. Contact Sarah Pemberton or schedule an appointment at 951-827-9354 or casemanagerDOS@ucr.edu
  • Asian Pacific Student Programs APSP promotes a diverse learning environment, providing UCR with opportunities to learn from and about the Asian and Pacific Islander student population. Through involvement in APSP, students become leaders, are made conscious of how communities affect one another, and develop a sense of community within UCR's diverse population.


Looking for missing friends or relatives in Japan:

Local Japan Emergency dials:

  • 171 + 1 + line phone number to leave a message
  • 171 + 2 + line phone number to listen to the message



Phone numbers to consult about missing persons: (Japanese language)


  • Iwate Prefecture: 0120-801-471
  • Miyagi Prefecture: 022-221-2000
  • Fukushima Prefecture: 0120-510-186 / 090-8424-4207 / 090-8424-4208


Free cell phone service and texting





Twitter is a real-time information network that connects you to the latest information about what you find interesting. Simply find the public streams you find most compelling and follow the conversations.






News Coverage


  • TV JAPAN : Japanese website
  • TV JAPAN : English website
  • TV Japan channels (across USA)
  • Verizon FiOS (channel will depend on location)
  • AT&T Uverse (Channel 3680)
  • Dish Network (Channel 640)
  • Cox Communications (Channel 400)
  • Time Warner (Channel 680)



International Resources and Information

Embassy of Japan in the United States

  • 202-238-6791

Google Crisis Response - Japanese Earthquake and Tsunami

  • Radiation and Health Information
  • Disaster Message Boards
  • Shelter resident lists
  • Google People Finder
  • Transportation Information

Travel / Transportation / Immigration Concerns

Airport Information

  • Get the latest updates on travel within Japan from the US Embassy.

Japanese Earthquake and Immigration Benefits (3/17/11, in Japanese)

Questions and Answers for Stranded Japanese Nationals (3/17/11)

In light of the recent earthquakes and tsunami in Japan, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds Japanese nationals of certain U.S. immigration benefits available upon request.

USCIS understands that a natural disaster can affect an individual's ability to establish or maintain lawful immigration status. Temporary relief measures available are eligible to nationals of Japan.

Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program may visit aUSCIS local officefor assistance. Japanese nationals who are at a U.S. airport may contact the U.S. Customs and Border Protection office there. For more information on USCIS humanitarian programs, visit www.uscis.gov or call the National Customer Service Center at 1-800-375-5283.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services Advisory (3/11/11):

This advisory is for Japanese and other foreign nationals from the Pacific stranded in the United States due to the earthquakes and tsunami devastation in the Pacific. If you have exceeded or are about to exceed your authorized stay in the U.S. you may be permitted up to an additional 30 days to depart.

Visitors traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP):

Visitors traveling under a nonimmigrant visa (including F-1 and J-1 visas):

For additional immigration relief options, please visit the Special Situation page.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Division of Student Affairs
2108 Hinderaker Hall

Tel: 951-827-4641
Fax: 951-827-2248
Email: vcsa@ucr.edu