UC Riverside Helping Nepal
Sending Donations to Nepal
USAID provides a list of reputable humanitarian organizations that work in Nepal.
Be Safe: How to Donate
Tips are provided by CharityNavigator.org, an independent nonprofit organization that evaluates more than 5,400 American charity groups.
- Send Cash, Not Supplies. Cash allows relief experts to buy exactly what is needed without wasting other precious resources such as transportation, staff time or warehouse space. Instead of boxing up and sending old clothing, have a garage sale and turn your used goods into cash and donate that to a charity.
- Avoid Newly-Formed Charities. Find a charity with a proven track record of success in providing disaster relief. Thoroughly research it.
- Designate Your Investment. Specify that you want your donation only used to respond to this particular crisis.
- Be Careful of Email Solicitations. Delete unsolicited emails with attachments. They are probably viruses.
- Avoid Telemarketers. As always, hang up the phone, do your homework and give directly to a charity. Charity solicitations that seem suspicious can be reported to the National Center for Disaster Fraud; complaints can also be filed with the Internet Crime Complaint Center.