UC Riverside Helping
Highlanders Making a Difference
Whenever and wherever there is a natural disaster, UC Riverside’s campus feels its impact in unique and critical ways. With students from more than 65 countries, we understand that many members of our UCR family may have relatives and friends living abroad in areas touched by crisis.
This website has been created as a way for UCR students to find on-campus resources, to stay informed about UCR’s own relief efforts, and to actively get involved in the international community's campaign to provide support and relief.
Through donating money and volunteering, we encourage everyone to find ways to help disaster victims rebuild their lives. We also hope that any crisis abroad informs UCR students, faculty, and staff about ways to serve in our own communities.
Help Regions in Crisis
Below is a list of international relief organizations and ways you can directly give to various relief efforts.
- CARE is a humanitarian organization focused on eradicating global poverty by empowering women and girls. Donate now
- UNICEF has spent nearly 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Donate now
- Oxfam is an international confederation of 18 organizations working together with partners and local communities in more than 90 countries. Donate now
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies has millions of volunteers around the world working in the areas of disaster response and recovery, development, and promoting social inclusion and peace. Donate now
- The United Nations World Food Program (WFP) is the largest humanitarian agency fighting global hunger. Donate now
- The Center for International Disaster Information posts lists of organizations that are responding to disasters. Learn more
Volunteer in Your Community
Below is a list of online resources that will connect you with local and national nonprofits working in your community.
- Charity Navigator rates charities based on their financial health, accountability, and transparency.
- The Corporation for National & Community Service is a federal agency that leads service, volunteering, and grant-making efforts in the United States.
- Volunteer.gov lists volunteer opportunities with natural and cultural resources agencies in the United States.
- VolunteerMatch connects volunteers with nonprofit organizations.